US$666 million. An auspicious number, indeed, as Diablo IV posts the best-selling opening in Blizzard's history.
This was Diablo IV's global sell-through in the first five days following its June 6 launch. Not only is this Blizzard's fastest-selling game ever, but also it is the box-office equivalent of the biggest opening week of the year.
Heroes of Sanctuary
"On behalf of Blizzard, we want to thank the millions of players around the world who are immersing themselves in Diablo IV," said Blizzard Entertainment President Mike Ybarra.
"Diablo IV is a result of our incredible teams working together to craft and support genre-defining games, build legendary worlds, and inspire memories that will last a lifetime. We're humbled by the response, proud of the team, and remain committed to listening to our players and ensuring Diablo continues to exceed expectations for years to come," he said.
The heroes of Sanctuary, the world in which Diablo is set, have already played more than 276 million hours, or more than 30,000 years.
So what are players doing with all this time spent in Diablo IV?
- 276 billion demons killed since Early Access: nearly 35 times the global population.
- Players have been vanquished over 316 million times
- …over 5 million of those vanquishings were at the hands of the Butcher.
- But they’re not falling alone — players have created a party with friends over 166 million times.
- 163 players have made it to the maximum level in Hardcore mode, where deaths are permanent.
- When players haven’t been playing Diablo, they’ve been watching it — Diablo IV was the No. 1 game on Twitch from Early Access on June 1 through June 9, breaking Blizzard records for both hours streamed and watched over a similar period.
Diablo IV is available now, featuring cross-platform play and cross-progression on Windows PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, plus up to four player co-op, including two player couch co-op on consoles.